Tuesday Musings 1

I admit that this blog has been a bit neglected while I have been pouring my soul into the web series...its blog has flourished by comparison (you can see it at 22 Bones ). So, in an effort to be a bit more engaged, I'm going to try a scheduled post on Tuesdays. Some musings will be informative, some will be rants, all will be about filmmaking. At the end of each I'll post any updates on the film festival/screening front. I am kind of the Empress of Procrastination, so we'll see how this goes!

My entry into filmmaking was not the "usual" path (if there even is such a thing); I'll address that on the next "Musings". Now, however, I'm going to give a really quick overview of the types of films I make; all are animated, but this can mean a broad spectrum of techniques!
My output falls into two general catgories: Stop Motion and Motion Graphics (but more story-based hybrid than the usual MG type). There is sometimes overlap between the two, and I often mix the two types together in some of my more "fun" films.

STOP MOTION: Essentially speaking, this is moving an actual object in tiny increments, taking a frame after each movement. Stringing these stills together as a film gives the illusion of movement. Although I always use motion graphics in certain ways in the following films, these are essentially stop motion (click links below to view films, if desired):


Essentially Alys           22 Bones (web Series)             Espressivo

My stop motion work tends to be quite quirky, playful and a bit off-kilter; this is the "Seat of the Pants" part of my production, as that's how I often figure out how to do what I want to do in a scene!😃

MOTION GRAPHICS HYBRID: In my case, this is 2D animation. Two-dimensional objects or figures are made to appear to move through space. Even here, though, my animation technique is a hybrid; video is mixed with graphics and effects. The only difference is that they don't have stop motion and are not traditional narratives. I usually use this technique for a type of music video, either with a loose storyline or narrative idea. Sometimes, however, they are about the impact of the visual panel. They are always quite short, some only about a minute. Here are some examples (again, click links below):


 Aria               And She Rode Forth....      You Are Here

I guess you could call this part of my output "Rusty Bolt Theatre".

Both types of animation are essential to my filmmaking; perhaps part of the dichotomy that is me!😏

Next time: How I became a filmmaker (very late in life!).


UPDATES!

"And She Rode Forth": We've been chosen to screen at "We Like 'Em Short", one of my favourite film festivals, in Baker City, Oregon, on August 15. This is one of the best festivals out there as they really treat filmmakers right! So pleased to be a part of it for the third year in a row!!!!

"Meanwhile, in Another Part of the Forest" screened in Toronto with the 300 Seconds Short Film Festival, and won Best Animation, Canada!!!!! So very honoured and excited about this!

"You Are Here" screened at PiGrecoZen (Liguria, Italy)!



Comments