The Draw of Nostalgia

 As a wee thing back in the late '50s and early '60s I pretty much lived in my own little world. Not to say I couldn't function in the "real" world, but my own fantasy play world was so much more appealing. I was a voracious reader, and I clearly remember an amazing set of books that I pretty much read and re-read. These were the "Junior Classics" in ten volumes, covering everything from fairy tales to poetry, historical fiction to myths, etc. Some of the volumes I liked more than others, but they were always my companions on rainy days. I parted ways with those books when my teen years set in and they eventually disappeared as all things do. Fast forward about fifty years. When poking through a collectibles shop, what did I spy?

This was the "popular" edition, so had a limited number of the amazing illustrations by the likes of Dore and Crane, but I snapped it up immediately...deep dive into my childhood.

I read some of the stories that baffled me, some that scared me, some that rang a chord with me, and found a treasure trove of material for animated films through re-interpretation.  My recent "The King 'o the Cats" for the Reallusion "Animation at Work" contest was based on one of those stories. The original story follows the typical "strange encounter, repeated phrases and surprise ending" pattern of many old fireside stories, and to be honest, it was one of those that baffled me a bit as a child. However its short, colourful and slightly scary narrative was perfect for animation.

I am now embarking on a deeply personal project ("Once There Was a Girl") in which I am attempting to reflect those stories that had the most lasting impression on me. This isn't a straightforward interpretation of any one story or amalgamation of stories, but rather an attempt to capture the essence of such stories and their key themes, with a healthy helping of how they affected me. It's a tricky proposition, but one that intrigues me immensely. Whether ultimately successful or not, it's going to be a personally fascinating means to meet nostalgia head on.


Comments