Tuesday Musings - Inspiration

I have been a keeper of notebooks since around 1976. These aren't diaries, they aren't meant to be updated regularly and I'm not on any kind of schedule in regards to them, but I always carry a small notebook in my backpack or pocket and keep larger-format ones by my studio computer and on a bookshelf. For the last 43 years I have kept track of things and ideas that inspire or amuse me; originally they were for writing, sculptures and graphic arts projects (paintings, mostly). Sometimes they were just concepts or minutiae that I found interesting or mindboggling or fun. Sometimes they were full-blown scripts or drawings or glued-in clippings from other publications. These days they focus around my films...but it's always so strangely insightful to go back and read some of those earlier notes from when I was just taking my first questioning steps as an artist. I love the "who was this person?" moments I sometimes find or the "oh, yeah; I forgot about that" bits when I come across something that applies to what I'm doing right now. These days I suppose I could keep notes with pics on my phone, but somehow for me it isn't the same. The tactile part of scribbling in a notebook, doing a quick sketch or just putting down one or two words to indicate an idea is very, very appealing to me.

A small selection of my notebooks, a ragtag collection to be sure. The oldest is the larger black one on the right, with my name in yellow wax pencil on the top right corner.  The one with the spectacles is from the early 80s through early 90s.

Planning out a film or webseries episode is usually done on a large sheet of paper, scribbled and highlighted and redone several times. I am positive that no one but me could possibly make head or tails from them. Maybe I'll share one next time, if you really want to be discombobulated! 😄



Please note that I have added a link to my Vimeo channel (where you can view my animated short films) in the sidebar menu. The episodes for the web series are in their own channel, accessed from that page in the sidebar.



UPDATES!

"The Seamless Cup Society" has been chosen to screen at this year's Women Over 50 Film Festival in Lewes, UK! This is the third year that I've had a film screened with them and feel so very honoured to again be a part of this amazing event! 🎬

Comments